I thought that this list might be helpful. These are the things I now know cause migraines, after keeping a headache diary for the past couple of months:
- Hunger. If I don’t eat, I get a headache. I have to stop what I’m doing and eat, no matter how busy things get.
- Caffeine. One, maybe two cups of coffee a day, only in the morning or very early afternoon, and I’m fine. If I use it as a cure, it triggers a “rebound” headache.
- Sugar. Sodas, in particular. If I have something like this on an empty stomach, it’s a pretty good bet. Usually only in combination with another factor.
- Disrupted sleep pattern. It could be a too-long nap in the middle of the day (woohoo for under-employment) or staying up too late. Sleeping too much or too little. Regular sleep is the best medicine for my headaches since pain killers.
- Hormone shifts. Artificial hormones, as my other migraine post explains in detail, like the ones in The Pill. Natural estrogen spikes will do it, too, but less aggressively.