- My heart is racing. So what? Oh, that’s not normal? What do you mean “was it the coffee?” Oh, because caffeine could do that! I get it! You might be right about that.
- I have a stomach ache. Oh, well, I must be anxious. What’s that? What about antibiotics? Oh yeah, I am on antibiotics! They do give me stomach aches! You are right, I should eat some yogurt.
- I’m so sleepy; I hate how anxiety makes me want to take naps all the time. Huh? Take the nap? Why? Oh, yeah! I’m sick! And antibiotics do make me sleepy.
- I’m so sleepy; I hate how anxiety makes me want to go to bed at 9:00 pm. What’s that? Did I work today? Well, yes, I did. So. Oh, working is a good reason to be tired, I suppose.
- I need a hug because I’m a freak who freaks out at the tiniest things and I had a hard day at work. What’s that? It’s normal to be upset about a formal reprimand at work? It’s normal to need a hug? Huh… I guess that’s plausible…
Oh, it’s so much fun having an anxiety disorder! I end up thinking that everything I feel is nonsense caused by wacky chemicals. If I didn’t have so many awesome people in my life to set me straight, I’d really be a hot mess thinking about how crazy I am. Most of the time, turns out that what I feel is just normal, even if I am a little sensitive. Why do I keep thinking that being “good enough” means being “perfect” which means never needing anything from anyone? How creepy would I be if I just did everything right the first time and never needed a hug? Very.